The Programme area covers thirteen (13) target Counties namely:
- Western region; Bungoma, Kakamega, Nakuru, Nandi and Trans Nzoia Counties;
- Eastern region; Embu, Kitui, Tharaka-Nithi, Makueni and Machakos;
- Coastal region; Kilifi, Kwale and Taita Taveta.
KCEP-CRAL target counties (13) and sub-counties (44) were selected using the following criteria:
- Agro-ecological and economic potential;
- Poverty incidence;
- Population density;
- Target commodity contributing to household income/food security and representing the best option the poor have for market participation;
- Geographical concentration to maximize impact.